03.07.2023 - Estate Planning
Debunking 10 Common Estate Planning Myths
Presented by Laurie Steiner, Esq., Solomon, Steiner & Peck, Ltd.
Join elder law attorney Laurie Steiner for an in-depth review of ten common myths around estate planning outlined below.
- Only the rich need to worry about estate planning
- If I have a will, I will avoid probate
- I need a trust to avoid probate
- I should put my house in joint and survivor ownership with my child to avoid probate
- A will decides who inherits my IRA
- Beneficiary forms are all I need for bank accounts, IRA and real estate
- I revocable trust protects my assets if I enter a nursing home
- A trust always avoids probate
- My grandkids will inherit my assets if my children pass away, if my will says per stirpes
- A will or trust is the only estate planning document that I need.